Log in

Annual Corinthian Heritage Cup - Postponed

08 May 2019 11:04 PM | Anonymous member

Dear DCYC Family,

First, let me thank everyone who has been volunteering to make this a great event.  Also each of you that have signed up to participate in the 2019 Corinthian Heritage Cup Regatta.  It means a great deal to me and the other volunteers that so many have chosen our regatta for competing with each other and sharing good times during our annual party.

Without any further beating around the mark, I must inform you that we are postponing the Corinthian Heritage Cup until later in the year. Tentatively, we are looking at the weekend of July 13 for the new date.  This will be discussed in the upcoming board meeting, so let some of your Board of Governors know what you think.

For those of you that have already paid, we will be returning your payments in the next few days (I do not know how long it takes to get these reimbursements to go through from Regatta Network, but I will work very hard to make it happen as quickly as possible).

If you are one of the J/24 racers, the District 14 Southwest Championship will be moved to the Corpus Christi Circuit Stop scheduled for June 15-16 in Corpus Christi, TX and you will soon receive more information about that from Tonja Holmes-Moon and John Parker.

In making this decision, I and other regatta chairs from prior years looked at a lot of data from the Army Corps of Engineers and spoke with several of the marina operators in the area.  We also made several phone calls to mobile crane operators and officials at the two remaining (open) boat ramps on the lake in a desperate effort to find a safe way to continue with this regatta.  As of this afternoon, we have been left with no options and have made our final decision.

Lewisville Lake has never dropped faster than 4" per day, and that is only when the flood gates are wide open at 6,000+ cfs (cubic feet per second).  Currently they are at 3,640 cfs, but with the upstream inflow, the net release is ~ 1,840 cfs.  Even under the very best conditions, the lake will still be over 524.5 ft. which is still too high to operate safely.  Most likely, with the flooding along the Trinity River and rain expected next week, the level will be above 525.5 ft.

Please accept my sincerest apologies and feel free to reach out to me if you have questions or do not see your payment returned within the next 10 days.

Timothy Johnson, 2019 Regatta Chairman
Dallas Corinthian Yacht Club
(972) 832-5494  |  dcyc.regatta.chair@outlook.com

Copyright 2019 / Dallas Corinthian Yacht Club (DCYC) / 1399 Yacht Club Rd. Oak Point, TX 75068 / View Google Map

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software